Sports & Auctions
A key sector from an economic and societal point of view, sport represents a huge source of opportunities.
This sector generates a very large amount of data via leagues, federations, clubs and companies specialising in data collection. However, the large volume, the diversity of type and source, and the potential presence of bias make it difficult to exploit and interpret this fundamental strategic asset.
A graduate of Sciences Po and the École Polytechnique, Jean-Baptiste completed a CIFRE thesis in applied econometrics between 2014 and 2018. His favourite topics are game and auction theory, incentive mechanisms and the economics of sport.
Since his arrival at Veltys in 2013, Jean-Baptiste has supported many stakeholders in the world of sport (LFP, LNR, LNB, World Rugby, COJOP, FIFA, FFT, LeTROT, France Galop) designing calls for tenders and, more generally, on their statistical and data issues. His researcher’s soul, scientific approach and his taste for strategic issues allow him to make a difference to the firm’s Sports & Auctions Practice projects.
Sports leagues and federations call on Veltys to design tenders to sell their audio-visual rights, responding to the following issues:
- Estimating the commercial and strategic value of the rights concerned for potential broadcasters
- Structuring the competition into multiple lots to maximize competition
- Setting the reserve price at the right level
- Defining the right parameters for the auction (number of rounds, information shared, etc.)
- Encouraging broadcasters to commit to qualitative aspects (in particular exposure and promotion of the competition)
- Writing an economic argument to ensure the legality of the call for tenders
We allow our clients to obtain the best offers on the market (from a financial and/or qualitative point of view depending on their objectives) while guaranteeing the legality of the call for tenders.
Veltys carries out a wide variety of data missions within sport – from statistical and economic studies to optimisation and valuation topics – in order to meet the strategic and operational challenges of our customers:
- Implementation of a data strategy
- Enabling efficient use of the data available in the sports organisation (in terms of technical infrastructure, corporate culture and data governance)
- Identifying the use-cases that create the most value based on the data available to the sports organisation
- Support for sports leagues and federations in their regulatory, economic and financial issues
- Optimisation of a horse racing programme
- Statistical and econometric analysis of sport fixture audiences
- Valuation of sponsorship contracts
The National Rugby League (LNR) works with Veltys on multiple strategic issues, in particular the marketing of audio-visual rights and the management of key regulatory systems for professional rugby, within economics and in training.
Veltys’ expertise supports the LNR in the strategic approach of these issues and in their implementation by combining professionalism, a holistic view, and precision which allow the LNR to be more relevant in the management of its most complex cases.Paul GOZE, ex-Président,
& Emmanuel ESCHALIER, Directeur Général de la Ligue Nationale de RugbyTheir ExperienceThe Veltys team provided World Rugby with exceptional professional advice and support on all aspects relating to the market analysis, allotment and bid evaluation process for our call for tenders in the French market for our major rugby union competitions.Chris SynnottHead of Broadcast and Media Rights Sales – World RugbyMaking strategic and operational decisions quickly becomes more obvious based on objective and quantified elements.Clients